The Cuban government announced a package of emergency measures on Friday as the island prepares for severe fuel shortages it attributes to increased pressure from the United States. In a televised address, Deputy Prime Minister Oscar Perez-Oliva Fraga blamed Washington and said the steps are intended to protect the country’s vitality and essential services while preserving development.
Measures taking effect Monday include limits on fuel sales and reduced operating days for essential administrative activities, which will run Monday through Thursday to conserve energy. Officials said the cuts are aimed at saving fuel for food production and electricity generation.
Labor Minister Jesús Otamendiz said the government will prioritize remote work. Education will see shorter school hours and universities will shift to a hybrid model. Transport Minister Eduardo Rodríguez announced a steep reduction in domestic train service, with routes operating only once every eight days per destination.
Cuba, an island of about 9.6 million people, has been under a U.S. economic embargo since 1962 and is facing a six-year economic crisis. The country has long depended on oil imports from Venezuela; Havana says supplies were disrupted after Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro was removed from power and following a U.S. military action last month that it says halted deliveries.
President Miguel Díaz-Canel said Cuba is willing to engage in dialogue with Washington without pressure or preconditions but insisted talks must occur from a position of equals and respect Cuba’s sovereignty, independence and non-interference in internal affairs.
U.S. President Donald Trump has in recent months threatened steps aimed at cutting Cuba’s oil supplies as part of broader pressure on the Communist-run island.