French President Emmanuel Macron has accepted the resignation of Louvre director Laurence des Cars, who faced intense criticism after a daring daytime robbery last October that exposed significant security failings at the world’s most visited museum.
The government announced on Wednesday that Christophe Leribault, an experienced art historian and current head of the Palace of Versailles, will take over leadership of the Louvre. Macron’s office characterized Des Cars’ departure as “an act of responsibility” and said the museum needs calm and a “strong new impetus” to advance major projects including security upgrades and modernization.
Des Cars, appointed director in 2021, had been under pressure since the October 19 break-in in which thieves used power tools and a crane lift mounted on a truck to force open a window and make off with French crown jewels. The theft — carried out around 9:30 a.m. and reported to have involved a disc cutter — resulted in the loss of pieces once worn by queens and empresses of France, with the jewels’ value estimated at about €88 million ($102 million). Several suspects have been arrested in the ensuing investigation, but the stolen items have not been recovered.
The heist highlighted broader problems at the Louvre beyond that single incident. Authorities and museum officials have been dealing with suspected large-scale ticket fraud that may have continued for as long as a decade, floods that reportedly damaged a ceiling painting and historic books, and labor unrest that has at times disrupted visitors. France’s chief architect for historical monuments has warned that many European museums occupy historic buildings not designed to meet modern security needs, a vulnerability underscored by the theft.
Des Cars herself acknowledged last year that the museum lacked sufficient external surveillance cameras and had other security weaknesses. She said she would review the museum’s governance in response. Reports note she offered to resign on the day of the robbery; Culture Minister Rachida Dati initially rejected that offer.
The change in leadership comes as the Louvre prepares to implement a series of reforms and improvements to protect its collections and restore public confidence. Christophe Leribault will take on the task of guiding the institution through security, operational and modernization challenges while preserving its role as a global cultural destination that draws up to about 9 million visitors a year.