On the morning of February 28, at about 8 a.m. local time, Israelis received emergency mobile-phone alerts ordering them to seek immediate shelter. Defense Minister Israel Katz declared a nationwide state of emergency and said a “preemptive strike” had been launched against Iran to “remove threats” to Israel.
Retired Major General Noam Tibon—who became widely known after rescuing his family during the October 7, 2023 attacks and is a vocal critic of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu—said he understood the decision. He argued that prior diplomatic efforts with Tehran had been a “waste of time” and pointed to the June 2025, 12-day Israel–Iran confrontation as a turning point. During that campaign, Israel, with U.S. assistance, struck elements of Iran’s nuclear program; the operation, viewed by many as breaching international law, prompted Iranian counterstrikes that penetrated Israeli defenses, killed at least 28 people and convinced a large portion of the public that more forceful measures were needed to prevent future missile attacks.
Political reaction within Israel has been largely supportive. Opposition leader Yair Lapid publicly thanked the United States for its role, and former defense minister Benny Gantz expressed unity behind the government. By contrast, far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir threatened harsh action against Israelis seen as supporting Iran. Left-wing Arab-Israeli MK Ayman Odeh warned that the war would not make Israelis safer and urged citizens to protect themselves.
A central worry among critics is the risk of a multi-front conflict. Israel ordered a wide mobilization of reserve units to secure its northern borders with Lebanon and Syria and to deter Hezbollah, Iran’s ally, from entering the fighting.
Many Israelis believe the objectives go beyond neutralizing missile capabilities. In a televised address, Netanyahu urged Iranians to free themselves from “the yoke of tyranny.” Some in Israel have openly hoped for regime change in Tehran and pointed to U.S.-based Reza Pahlavi, the son of the former shah, as a potential alternative to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei—though Tibon cautioned that the outcome of any political transition in Iran would be highly uncertain.
Tibon warned the current strike could escalate into a prolonged regional war of attrition—an especially grave scenario for Israel, whose future prospects will depend heavily on continued U.S. backing and on developments inside Iran.
This article was originally written in German.