The 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (WAFCON), due to kick off on March 17 in Morocco with 16 teams, was postponed by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) just 12 days before the scheduled start. CAF attributed the delay to “unforeseen circumstances” but gave no detailed public explanation, prompting widespread speculation and frustration across the women’s game.
CAF head of communications Luxolo September described the reason as “a combination of factors,” saying Morocco had asked for the postponement and that there had been extensive discussions involving Morocco, FIFA and CAF about alternative dates. Media and stakeholders have suggested the decision was influenced by tensions between Morocco and CAF after the controversial men’s AFCON final in January — a match that saw Senegal walk off in protest before Morocco won 1-0 — as well as possible clashes with Morocco’s domestic league calendar over stadium availability.
Teams, coaches, fans and journalists criticised the timing of the announcement. Kenya U-20 head coach Jackline Juma said the late change was unfair after long preparations and recent friendlies. Vicki Huyton of the Female Coaching Network warned that 12 days out is when squads finalise tactics and build morale. Player agent Collins Okonyo noted that supporters and media had already booked travel and accommodation, calling the situation disorganised and disruptive.
CAF defended its handling of the postponement, saying the announcement came only after parties had exhausted efforts to find common ground. The governing body said its priority was to stage the tournament under the best conditions rather than proceed for the sake of meeting a deadline.
There had been signs of trouble before the postponement. South African figures publicly offered to host at short notice if Morocco proved unready, with former sport minister Gayton McKenzie stressing his country’s preparedness and arguing that women’s football should not be sidelined. Critics also pointed to the tournament’s earlier rescheduling: Morocco had been due to host WAFCON in 2024, but the event was pushed back to avoid clashing with the Paris Olympics — a move that fuelled accusations that CAF undervalues the women’s game.
CAF rejects claims of neglect, highlighting investments made under president Patrice Motsepe. Officials cite increases in women’s prize money — from $100,000 to $1 million — and the creation of the CAF Women’s Champions League as evidence of a growing commitment to the women’s game.
Some observers have identified potential upsides to a later date: a move to July could allow injured players more time to recover and give teams extra time to resolve internal issues. But coaches like Huyton caution that major tournaments follow fixed cycles and that national teams plan multi-year preparations around set calendars, so last-minute date changes can have lasting consequences.
The postponement leaves questions about a new timetable and how organisers will manage logistics and stakeholder expectations going forward. Edited by: Chuck Penfold