After Iran’s Asian Cup campaign ended in Australia, the team bus was surrounded by hundreds of protesters on the Gold Coast chanting “save our girls.” Players on board made SOS gestures and photographed those outside. The bus returned to the team hotel, and on Monday media and rights groups reported that five players had left the hotel and may have escaped the delegation.
Amnesty International’s Zaki Haidari, present at the scene, said that moments before reports of an escape “our understanding is that the players are currently staying in a hotel under heavy monitoring.” He added that their communications appeared restricted, making it difficult for human rights organisations, lawyers and journalists to contact them.
FIFPRO Asia/Oceania, the regional players’ union, also said it had been unable to reach the players. Its president, Beau Busch, called the lack of contact “incredibly concerning.”
Pressure on the squad built after they were criticised for not singing Iran’s national anthem in their opening match against South Korea. They did sing and salute in their final two group games, a change many observers say reflected pressure from Iranian authorities.
Public scenes of support in Australia raised hopes that players, coaches and staff might be able to remain in the country rather than return to Iran. But with the team largely unable to speak publicly it is unclear what each individual or the group collectively wants.
After their last match, team manager Marziyeh Jafari said: “we are impatiently waiting to return. Personally I would like to return to my country as soon as possible and be with my compatriots and family.” Human rights groups have warned such statements could have been made under duress.
Rights advocates say anyone perceived to oppose Iran’s supreme leader—or his son, Mojtaba—faces the risk of severe reprisals, and that women are especially vulnerable. Haidari noted the players have been called “wartime traitors” on national television, a label that in Iran can expose people to serious punishment.
Activists point to the 2020 execution of wrestler Navid Afkari, a case widely viewed as politically motivated, as a stark warning. Rights groups also say several athletes were reportedly killed during protests earlier this year. Reza Pahlavi, the exiled former crown prince, posted on X that the players “face dire consequences should they return to Iran” because of their act of civil disobedience.
There is no simple answer about whether the squad can remain in Australia. Amnesty is urging the Australian government to ensure the players have an opportunity to seek asylum if they wish, noting Australia’s obligations under the UN 1951 Refugee Convention.
The Australian government has expressed solidarity with Iranians but stopped short of a firm commitment. Foreign Minister Penny Wong told the ABC: “We stand in solidarity with the men and women of Iran, and particularly Iranian women and girls. Obviously this is a regime that has brutally cracked down on its people.” Opposition figures have urged the government to offer asylum to any players who want it.
Beau Busch has called on Australia, FIFA and the Asian Football Confederation to apply every bit of pressure to protect the players’ human rights. But with players’ positions and, in some cases, whereabouts unclear, the situation is complex.
“It’s important to remember the enormous pressure the players are under,” Haidari said. “Their country is at war, they are worried about their families, and they are facing pressure from Iranian authorities because of their peaceful protest. Despite this, they have shown remarkable courage and have received strong support from the Australian community.”
The Asian Cup continues without Iran, but the fate of the eliminated team has become the tournament’s most urgent and closely watched story.