Iran intensified strikes across the region on Wednesday, hitting states it sees as aligned with Washington while publicly rejecting reports that it is holding talks with the United States.
Missiles were reported over Israel and in the Gulf. A strike on Kuwait’s international airport sent thick black smoke into the sky, and Iran’s navy claimed it had targeted a US aircraft carrier — assertions that have been hard to independently verify amid active hostilities.
The attacks followed media reports that the US had relayed a 15-point plan to Tehran, reportedly through Pakistan, intended to end the conflict. According to unnamed sources cited in press accounts, the proposal would include a month-long ceasefire to allow negotiators to discuss measures such as constraints on Iran’s nuclear program, reduced support for proxy forces, and reopening the Strait of Hormuz. It has not been made clear how much backing, if any, Israel gives to the reported outline.
Iran’s foreign ministry and military rejected the notion of negotiations. Spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei told India Today there were ‘no talks or negotiations between Iran and the United States,’ citing past episodes in which diplomacy, Iran says, was followed by attacks. A military spokesperson from Khatam Al-Anbiya taunted US efforts, asking whether Washington had ‘reached the point where you are negotiating with yourselves,’ and said Tehran would not accept terms ‘not now, not ever.’
The diplomatic disagreement has had immediate regional and financial impacts. Oil prices dropped more than 5% after reports of potential talks eased some fears of prolonged supply disruptions — Brent crude fell from above $100 to the mid-$90s per barrel — and Asian stock markets rose. Still, volatility in energy markets remains: the International Energy Agency said it stands ready to coordinate further releases from strategic stocks if necessary, after member states agreed earlier in the month to a record release.
The humanitarian and security toll is rising. Iraq experienced at least two lethal strikes on positions linked to the Popular Mobilization Forces in as many days, with one attack killing seven fighters and wounding 13, and a prior strike having killed 15. Baghdad has accused the US of involvement in some strikes and granted the PMF the ‘right to respond.’ Pro-Iran groups have attacked US positions, and Iran has carried out strikes inside Iraq as well as against Kurdish and US locations in the country’s north.
United Nations human rights chief Volker Türk urged influential states to use their leverage to halt the fighting, warning the conflict risks drawing more countries across borders into a wider confrontation and describing the situation as extremely dangerous and unpredictable.
The conflict has also hit cultural targets: Iranian officials reported that the home of the late filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami was struck, with Tehran saying such attacks demonstrate the campaign targets not only states but ‘culture, civilization, and identity.’
Regionally, Cyprus has asked the UK to renegotiate security arrangements for Britain’s bases on the island following drone threats and a Shahed drone crash near the Akrotiri base; London has said the bases’ status is not open for negotiation. The Philippines has sought US waivers to import oil from countries under US sanctions to bolster supplies amid rising prices and has declared a national energy emergency.
Questions persist about Iran’s remaining military capacity. Despite US and Israeli statements that Tehran’s missile stocks have been heavily degraded, Iran continues to fire ballistic missiles and drones on multiple fronts. Analysts say the scale of remaining munitions and the speed at which Tehran could replenish arsenals under sanctions are unclear.
Reports that the Trump administration offered a 15-point framework and that envoys, including Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, proposed a temporary ceasefire to allow negotiations have not been confirmed by Tehran. Israel’s UN ambassador said Israel was not aware of direct US‑Iran talks and stressed that Israel and the US continue to target Iranian military sites.
As fighting continues, governments, markets and international organizations are watching for any credible move toward a ceasefire or de-escalation — even as Tehran insists no negotiations are taking place and maintains military operations across the region.