A man drove a car into a crowd in the northern Italian city of Modena on Saturday, injuring at least eight people, four of them in serious condition, police said. The incident occurred in Modena’s historic centre and the vehicle also crashed into a shop window.
Modena Mayor Massimo Mezzetti said the driver attempted to flee after the collision. ‘He was seen with a knife in his hand, but he didn’t manage to stab anyone. It seems like he was trying to hit someone,’ the mayor told local media. Police arrested the driver and took him to headquarters for questioning. The mayor described the episode as a very serious act and added that it would be even more grave if it were confirmed as an attack.
Authorities identified the suspect as a 31-year-old second-generation Italian, born in Bergamo and living in the province of Modena. City prefect Fabrizia Triolo said he had previously been treated at a mental health centre for schizoid disorders, but officials lost track of him after an initial period of observation in a care facility. Investigators reported there was no immediate sign the driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and they conducted a search of his home as part of the inquiry.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni called the incident ‘extremely serious’ on social media and said she trusts the person responsible will be held fully accountable. Local authorities continue to investigate the motive and circumstances surrounding the crash, and police have not released further details about the suspect’s condition or any formal charges.