The United States and Iran signaled on Saturday that they are moving closer to a framework agreement that could end a nearly three-month standoff triggered by US and Israeli strikes and the effective shutdown of the Strait of Hormuz. Mediators said both sides are inching toward a workable de‑escalation plan as international pressure mounts to prevent a wider regional war.
President Donald Trump told CBS News the parties were “getting a lot closer” to finalizing a deal but declined to provide specifics, saying only that “every day it gets better and better.” In an interview with Axios he put the odds of reaching an agreement at about 50/50, while also warning that he could order forceful military action if talks collapse. On his Truth Social platform he described an arrangement as “largely negotiated, subject to finalization” among the United States, Iran and other countries, saying final details would be announced soon and that the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio described “slight progress” in negotiations and suggested there could be news within days, though he also would not rule out renewed US strikes if diplomacy fails. Rubio reiterated US demands that Iran surrender highly enriched uranium connected to its contested nuclear program; Iranian officials say such nuclear issues are not part of an initial accord.
Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baqaei told state media Tehran was in the final stages of drafting a framework but that a binding agreement would require more time. He said the sides would need a “reasonable period” of 30 to 60 days to negotiate specifics and warned that significant gaps remain. Baqaei insisted an end to the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz — which has halted much of Iran’s oil exports, the country’s main revenue source — must be included in any deal.
The Financial Times, citing mediators, reported that negotiators were close to agreeing on a 60‑day extension of the ceasefire that began on April 8 and that the package would include a phased reopening of the strait.
The renewed optimism followed a high‑profile mediation effort by Pakistan. Field Marshal Asim Munir, Pakistan’s army chief, visited Tehran and held what Islamabad described as highly productive talks with Iranian leaders. Pakistan has been involved in negotiations that helped secure the current pause in fighting and has pushed for discussions on reopening the strait.
Before the conflict, the narrow waterway off Iran’s coast handled roughly one fifth of global oil and gas exports from the Gulf; its closure sent energy prices higher and stranded tankers and container vessels.
Reports that Trump abruptly canceled travel to his son’s wedding to remain in Washington — citing “circumstances pertaining to government” — fueled speculation that talks were at a delicate phase or that strikes could be ordered. US media outlets said the White House had considered renewed strikes, and Rubio told NATO foreign ministers there must be a contingency “Plan B” if diplomacy fails. Iran’s chief negotiator, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, warned of a “crushing” response if the United States renewed attacks, saying Iran’s forces had been strengthened during the ceasefire.
Negotiators and mediators stressed that while progress appears real, key differences remain and any final agreement will require more talks and time to iron out details.