President Trump’s proposal to replace the East Wing with a 90,000-square-foot ballroom has renewed attention on an underground military complex beneath the site — a long-known but little-discussed layer of White House infrastructure.
Demolition began in October to make room for what the president calls his ‘ballroom,’ a renovation estimated at a minimum of $300 million that has prompted objections from preservationists, architects and the public. The National Trust for Historic Preservation sued to stop the work; U.S. District Judge Richard Leon ordered construction paused until Congress authorizes completion, though he permitted some activity to continue for ‘the safety and security of the White House.’
The administration has repeatedly argued the project has security as well as ceremonial purposes, a claim visible in court filings and the president’s public remarks. Trump has described a military-built complex planned under the ballroom footprint, calling the surface space ‘essentially a shed for what’s being built under.’ He read from a note listing upgrades — including reinforced glazing to guard against drones, drone-resistant roofing, enhanced air-handling systems, biological-defense measures, secure communications, bomb shelters and medical facilities.
That subterranean space is generally understood to be the Presidential Emergency Operations Center (PEOC), a command-and-control bunker whose origins date to Franklin D. Roosevelt and which has been expanded over decades. The PEOC was used on Sept. 11, 2001; photos later showed President George W. Bush’s aides, Vice President Dick Cheney and other senior officials in underground rooms equipped with communications gear. Former first lady Laura Bush later described being guided down steel doors and through mechanical rooms to reach the complex.
Administrations have periodically upgraded the PEOC and related underground infrastructure. Major work during the Obama years included a large excavation near the West Wing that drew press attention and speculation: officials described routine HVAC and electrical upgrades, but observers noted heavy concrete, steel and equipment that suggested more extensive subterranean construction. That 2011 project, sometimes called the ‘Big Dig’ in media coverage, reinforced public curiosity about White House security construction.
Recent reports indicate uncertainty about the present condition of the underground facilities under the East Wing. Some outlets reported that parts of the bunker were dismantled during demolition and that it is unclear whether those elements will be rebuilt. The White House has declined to describe details, saying the military is making upgrades while stressing that specifics are law-enforcement sensitive or classified.
In court, the Secret Service acknowledged its involvement and urged the judge to weigh security needs. Deputy Secret Service Director Matthew Quinn said his agency was coordinating with the contractor on temporary security measures and warned that pausing work could impede the Service’s protective mission. The administration sought to submit additional classified information to the court to avoid placing sensitive details on the public record.
The White House and Trump allies have portrayed the project as closely coordinated with military and Secret Service leadership. The president has said the lawsuit itself ‘exposed’ what had been treated as top-secret elements of the plan. Administration officials at planning meetings have declined to discuss so-called top-secret elements in public sessions.
Critics, beyond security concerns, have argued about the scale, cost and lack of public input for a major alteration to the White House complex. Preservation groups and architects have emphasized the historic and aesthetic importance of the East Wing; environmental reviews and oversight procedures have been contested. Despite the judge’s order halting overall construction, a federal planning commission recently approved a revised ballroom plan.
As litigation and appeals continue, several questions remain publicly unanswered: what exactly is planned beneath the ballroom footprint, whether older bunker space was removed or will be replaced, and how much congressional authorization is required for the project to proceed. The court has signaled that legislative approval is necessary before the work can be completed, while also recognizing the government’s argument that some construction steps are essential to ongoing safety and security.
Whatever the legal outcome, the dispute over the ballroom has done more than pit preservationists against the administration and spark debate over spending. It has pulled back the curtain slightly on a rarely seen layer of the White House, renewing public scrutiny of how and when the nation’s leaders fortify their official residence and workplace.