Ford will add a buff and brawny off-road version of its biggest 2020 F-250 and 350 Super Duty pickup later this year.
Those heavy-duty versions of America’s best-selling vehicle will now include a package dubbed Tremor.
The Tremor package will include a crew cab, lifted suspension and more when the 2020 Super Duty medium-duty pickups go on sale late this year.
The Super Duty constitutes around a third of sales for the F-series pickups, which have been America’s best-selling vehicles for 42 years. Ford builds the Super Duty in Louisville, Kentucky.
Tremor is an equipment package rather than a new model. That means that Ford will offer it on a wide range of F-250 and 350s, potentially making it a big seller.
- 35-inch offroad tires
- 18-inch matte black wheels
- Crew cab, short box body, 10-speed automatic transmission
- 8-cylinder, 7.3-liter gasoline engine; or 6.7-liter, 8-cylinder diesel engine
- 53:1 crawl ratio for gasoline engines, 44:1 diesel
- Front limited slip differential
- Rear electronic locking differential
- Skid plates
- A raised suspension, 1.5 inches higher at the front and 2 rear
- 10.8 inches of ground clearance
- The ability to ford water 33 inches deep, up to the headlights’ lower edge
- Raised running boards, with drilled holes for drainage
- A 5-inch higher air dam
- Off-road shock absorbers
- New front axle
- Rock crawling mode
New electronics, lower towing capacity
Electronic features will include Trail Control, which electronically manages brakes and acceleration when off-roading so the driver can enjoy the scenery. It’s the first Super Duty application of the feature, which is available in the Ranger midsize and F-150 full-size pickups.
Tremors will have slightly lower towing capacity than corresponding models without the package, probably because the added equipment adds weight to the truck, reducing the share of total vehicle- and cargo-hauling capacity available for trailers.
The Tremor package will be available on crew cab, Lariat, King Ranch and Platinum models. There are no changes to the trucks’ interiors. The only “Tremor” badging will be on the shocks and decals on the rear fenders.
Ford will announce pricing closer to when the 2020 Super Duty goes on sale. Ford says the Tremor will be both more capable and more expensive than the FX4 off-road package it already offers.
There’s no plan for a Super Duty Raptor off-road racer at this time.
Follow Detroit Free Press auto critic Mark Phelan on Twitter @mark_phelan.