Despite the descending pandemic and difficulties in organizing events, this year the 74th Cannes Film Festival did take place. We remind you that last year the Cannes Film Festival was canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic. We spoke with Elvira Gavrilova, co-owner and CEO EU of the international advertising company Amillidius, who this year presented her film “The Incident at Wall Street Hotel”, starring Eric Roberts, a Hollywood actor, Oscar nominee, and Elvira Gavrilova’s protégé Anastasiia Bondarchuk, a 15-year-old model from Ukraine. Elvira shared her impressions with us and told us if the Cannes Film Festival has changed since the pandemic.
Elvira, first of all, we want to congratulate you on your pregnancy and wish you and your baby well-being. Pregnant women always look incredibly magical and gentle, and you are no exception. Your red carpet look is great. As far as we know, you were at the Cannes Film Festival in 2019. This was the last ceremony before the pandemic. Can you compare the Cannes Film Festival 2019 and 2021? What is the difference? Has the scale of the Film Festival changed?
– Thank you for your congratulations. As for the Cannes Film Festival, I cannot say that its scale has changed. Yet Cannes is the most anticipated event of the year. It is always the coolest international networking and stars from all over the world. This year, the only difference is that you need to take the test every day before screening and the red carpet, as well as periodically you should put on a mask. Since we were VIP guests on the red carpet, we had the opportunity to walk it and take a photo without a mask. Further in the hall, it was necessary to put it on. As for the test, the Festival team organized everything in the best possible way. The test could be taken both in a specially equipped place near the Palais des Festivals et des Congrès completely free of charge, as well as in certain 5-star hotels, such as Martinez, you could take the test in your room. By the way, if you live in Martinez and other 5-star hotels, the test must be taken every day for the safety of all hotel guests, also completely free of charge. Therefore, I did not notice the complexity and significant differences. Everything was organized as always at the highest level.
This year, Elvira, you have already presented your film. If a year and a half ago you said that you were a producer who was considering options for investing in other films, then this year you came to the festival with your film.
– Yes, we came with our film. We submitted our film, but, alas, this year it was not included in the competition program, which means that the film’s premiere did not take place at the Cannes Film Festival. We were Festival’s participants. But we do not give up, considering that this is our first experience of participating in the Cannes Film Festival. I think that we will take into account the mistakes, and with the next films we will definitely get into the competition program.
Tell us more about the film. Is it true that you starred Eric Roberts?
– Yes, that’s right. I wanted to show how people change in a critical situation, but to do it gently, in a comedic way. A year ago, in a hotel room, I wondered what kind of danger could await a person in such a calm, cozy atmosphere? And I realized that any spontaneous critical situation will make someone, who has a guilty conscience, panic. This is how the plot was born, the plot about how people, cornered by their fears, suddenly change. Filming took place in Odessa. I shot the film “The Incident at Wall Street Hotel”, starring Eric Roberts, a Hollywood actor, Oscar nominee, and my protégé Anastasiia Bondarchuk, who I have been producing for over 3 years.
Who else from the famous Ukrainians starred in your film?
– The film starred actor, singer, founder of TikTok-house uLove Home Danya Vegas, actor and influencer Bogdan Sheludyak, actress and TV presenter Marina Kiseleva, actors Irina Kzhemanovskaya and Oleg Simonenko.
Of course, at the end of our interview, we want to ask you what projects in the field of cinema you are working on now. Do you plan to present the film at other film festivals? What are your plans for the future?
– Yes, of course, we continue to work in the field of cinematography. I am already writing a script for a new film. By the way, I am not only the producer but also the screenwriter of the film “The Incident at Wall Street Hotel”. We are planning a trip to the Venice Film Festival and the Odessa International Film Festival.