Discount chain Fred’s announced Thursday it is closing 104 underperforming stores as part of an “ongoing effort to rationalize its store footprint.”
The new round of closings comes five weeks after the Memphis-based company started “going out of business” liquidation sales at 159 stores and follows an evaluation of store performance and timing of lease expirations, Fred’s said in a statement.
“These additional store closures are a difficult, but necessary step in the continued restructuring of Fred’s,” Fred’s CEO Joseph Anto said in the statement.
The liquidation of the 104 stores starts Thursday with stores expected to close by the end of June. Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia and Tennessee are losing the most locations.
Liquidation firm SB360 Capital Partners is managing the liquidation sales for Fred’s.
“We’re expecting pretty significant traffic as these 104 stores get underway, just as we saw with the initial group of 159 stores,” Aaron Miller, an executive vice president with SB360, told USA TODAY.
Store closings 2019: CVS, Payless and Victoria’s Secret are just some of the brands closing stores
What happened to Payless: As Payless wades through bankruptcy again, creditors say hedge fund may be to blame
The stores from the first round are expected to close by the end of May, Miller said.
Ziggy Schaffer, an executive vice president with SB360, said stores will continue to replenish staples like milk, eggs, beverages and household cleaning supplies.
“It really makes it a one-stop destination,” Schaffer said. “The grocery aspect of being replenished every day with fresh products is very attractive, especially given the discounts offered off everyday low prices. It’s very beneficial for the customers.”
In April, Fred’s said it had 557 stores in 13 states. After the 263 closures, representing 46% of the company, there will be 294 remaining locations.
Fred’s isn’t the only retailer shuttering locations.
Based on figures from global marketing research firm Coresight Research, bankruptcy filings and company earnings reports, more than 6,500 stores are slated to close in 2019.
Party City closings: Retailer closing 45 stores
CVS closing 46 stores: See the list of struggling locations that are going away
Follow Kelly Tyko on Twitter: @KellyTyko
The 104 stores are expected to close by the end of June.
- Aliceville: 105 Memorial Parkway West
- Ashville: 35360 U.S. Highway 231
- Dothan: 2146 S Oates St.
- East Brewton: 802 Forrest Ave.
- Eclectic: 1734 Kowaliga Road
- Hanceville: 802 Main St. NE
- Prattville: 715 E Main St.
- Robertsdale: 17870 Baldwin Farms Place
- Augusta: 1302 Highway 64 E
- Greenbrier: 57 S Broadview St.
- Haskell: 6027 Highway 67
- Jacksonville: 428 S James St.
- Jonesboro: 4212 E Johnson Ave.
- Little Rock: 15700 Arch St.
- Magnolia: 406 W Main St.
- Malvern: 110 N Main St.
- Marion: 2695 State Highway 77 S
- Marshall: 1002 Highway 65 N
- Mayflower: 652 Highway 365
- Melbourne: 609 East Main St.
- Monticello: 406 Highway 425 S
- Pea Ridge: 198 N Curtis Ave.
- Pine Bluff: 1701 Commerce Road
- White Hall: 8515 Dollarway Road
- Green Cove Springs: 1435 S Orange Ave.
- Live Oak: 1535 Ohio Ave. S
- Milton: 6522 Caroline St.
- Albany: 1001 N Slappey Blvd.
- Baxley: 875 S Main St.
- Colbert: 15 Colbert Business Parkway W
- Conyers: 425 Sigman Road NW
- Douglas: 813 Bowens Mill Road SE
- Dublin: 122 Hillcrest Parkway
- Jesup: 650 W Cherry St.
- Leesburg: 118 Robert B Lee Drive
- Macon: 6109 Houston Road
- Moultrie: 2601 S Main St.
- Ocilla: 224 E 4th St.
- Rome: 3233 Martha Berry Highway NW
- Thomaston: 1090 Highway 19 N
- Tifton: 1442 Tift Ave. N
- Valdosta: 4401 Bemiss Road
- Breese: 6 N 4th St.
- El Dorado: 1021 Highway 45 North
- Munfordville: 1181 Main St.
- Springfield: 1117 Lincoln Park Road
- Bastrop: 2017 E Madison Ave.
- Bossier City: 1882 Airline Drive
- Marksville: 306 Moreau St.
- Monroe: 1701 N 18th St.
- Moss Bluff: 899 N Highway 171
- Ruston: 7616 Highway 80
- Tioga: 4828 Shreveport Highway
- West Monroe: 2615 N 7th St.
- West Monroe: 207 Washington St.
- Amory: 905 Highway 278 E
- Brandon: 1898 Spillway Road
- Brookhaven: 964 Brookway Blvd.
- Clinton: 200 Clinton Blvd.
- Corinth: 2040 E Shiloh Road
- Crystal Springs: 25096 Highway 51
- Hattiesburg: 5266 Old Highway 11
- Hazlehurst: 140 Trade Center Ln
- Hernando: 6 E Commerce St.
- Moss Point: 7833 Highway 613
- Oxford: 1930 University Ave.
- Pearl: 5760 Highway 80 E
- Sardis: 401 E Lee St.
- Senatobia: 102 Norfleet Drive
- Southaven: 8912 Northwest Drive
- Starkville: 605 S Jackson St.
- Tupelo: 1317 E Main St.
- Vancleave: 12201 Highway 57
- Hayti: 603 E Washington St.
- Hickory: 2350 Springs Road NE
- Rutherfordton: 150 Park Lane Drive
- Bishopville: 618 Sumter Highway
- Camden: 1521 Jefferson Davis Highway
- Chesterfield: 2404 West Blvd.
- Gaston: 106 Jimmy Martin Circle
- Lyman: 200 Spartanburg Highway
- Newberry: 1827 Wilson Road
- Piedmont: 908 Anderson St.
- Sumter: 209 Broad St.
- Woodruff: 505 Laurens Road
- Bartlett: 6064 Stage Road
- Centerville: 1797 Highway 100 East
- Columbia: 425 W 7th St.
- Etowah: 733 Lawrence St.
- Humboldt: 2549 N Central Ave.
- Huntingdon: 535 High St.
- Lafayette: 1109 Scottsville Road
- Memphis: 4589 Quince Road
- Memphis: 6500 Quince Road
- Memphis: 7143 Winchester Road
- Milan: 5028 S 1st St.
- Savannah: 1103 Florence Road
- Sparta: 159 W Turn Table Road
- Sweetwater: 522 S Main St.
- Union City: 1405 S Home St.
- Bridgeport: 801 Turkey Creek Trail
- Hallsville: 1000 W Main St.
- Jacksboro: 618 N Main St.
- White Oak: 605 E U.S. Highway 80