We all remember the great Build-A-Bear Pay Your Age Day disaster of 2018 — the sale that was so successful, it failed.
Parents and kids came out in droves for the one-day event to score a stuffed animal at just the cost of the child’s age and the stores got so crowded the company had to shut the deal down.
The event went more smoothly after several changes, such as limiting bears to those with “winning” tickets and offering a three-day window for guests to visit the store.
But, it seems Build-A-Bear is still trying to avoid catastrophe with it’s latest sale for National Teddy Bear Day by extending the deal to Walmart stores across the country.
They’re calling it the “biggest National Teddy Bear Day yet.”
Get a bear for just $6.50
The deal is this: Kids can snag an exclusive National Teddy Bear Day bear for just $6.50 on Sep. 7, Sep. 8 and Sep. 9, which is National Teddy Bear Day.
The bears are available at all Build-A-Bear workshop stores and nearly all Walmart stores across the country.
All Build-A-Bear locations and 2,000 Walmart stores will also have a “celeBEARation” with swag and possibly an opportunity to take a picture with Build-A-Bear mascot Bearemy. For every photo posted to social media with the hashtag #NationalTeddyBearDay, teddy bears (up to 50,000 of them) will be donated to children in need.
Build it or buy it
There is one little catch to all this: For those who go to Build-A-Bear stores for the deal, kids can have the experience of “stuffing” their bears, naming them, adding accessories and more.
For those who go to Walmart stores for the deal, they can only purchase the bear pre-stuffed and “ready to play.”
Of course, there are always more options:
- Buy an unstuffed bear from Build-A-Bear stores during the event for $6.50 then return to the store at a later date for the make-your-own experience.
- Buy a pre-stuffed bear at Build-A-Bear stores and avoid the make-your-own madness.
- Visit a Walmart store that has a Build-A-Bear Workshop inside and find the make-your-own experience there.
Count Your Candles promotion still available
Maybe you’re thinking, “Oh no! I was going to take my kid for his or her birthday bear this weekend.”
No matter what other promotions are happening, kids can go to Build-A-Bear locations anytime during their birthday month and make a special birthday bear (worth $14) for just the cost of the age they are turning. So your kid is turning 5, you pay $5 bucks.
However, the National Teddy Bear Day event website does warn the stores expect “higher than normal traffic” at the Workshop locations over this three-day event.
Good luck my fierce frugal friends!
- Walmart and Target hosting car seat recycling events in September. What you need to know.
- Kids should get a 2019 flu shot before Halloween. But some parents are skeptical it works
- These famous moms make us laugh so we don’t cry when it comes to parenting