March 28, 2026
Yemen’s Houthi rebels said they launched a missile at Israel on Saturday morning — their first claimed strike since US and Israeli strikes on Iran four weeks ago. A Houthi military spokesman described the launch as part of a broader barrage against Israel and vowed continued operations in response to what the group called “aggression.” Israel said its forces intercepted the missile.
The Houthi statement came as a wider round of strikes and air defenses were reported across the Middle East early Saturday:
– The United Arab Emirates Ministry of Defense reported intercepting cruise missiles and unmanned aerial vehicles fired from Iran.
– Explosions were reported in and around Damascus while Israeli air defenses intercepted missiles over Syrian airspace.
– Bahrain’s Interior Ministry said a fire at a targeted facility was extinguished.
– Israeli authorities said Iran-launched strikes on Israel late Friday killed one person and injured several others.
– Israel said it launched strikes on Iranian “regime targets” early Saturday.
Iran and its regional proxies have stepped up attacks following weeks of US‑Israel strikes on Iranian infrastructure. Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) claimed it had destroyed what it called a “Ukrainian anti-drone system depot” in Dubai, alleging the site assisted US forces; Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry denied the claim. The IRGC statement, carried by state media, could not be independently verified.
Damage and injuries were reported across Gulf states. Kuwait’s civil aviation authority said the radar system at its main international airport suffered “significant” damage in several drone attacks, though no casualties were reported. Oman said two drones struck the southern port of Salalah, wounding one foreign worker and causing limited damage to port equipment. The UAE reported five Indian nationals in Abu Dhabi were injured by falling debris after air defenses intercepted a ballistic missile; injuries were described as minor to moderate.
An Iranian strike on Prince Sultan Air Base in Saudi Arabia injured 12 US service members, two seriously, according to US sources; the attack damaged KC‑135 aerial refueling aircraft. US officials say more than 300 US troops have been wounded since the conflict began on February 28, and the military reported 273 had since returned to duty.
The conflict has also disrupted commerce. Iran’s partial blockade of the Strait of Hormuz and related attacks have disrupted shipping and unsettled global oil markets. Early analyst estimates put damage to key US military installations in the region at roughly $800 million during the first two weeks of the war.
Diplomatic and mediation efforts continued alongside the fighting. Pakistani officials said foreign ministers from Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Egypt would meet in Islamabad to discuss de‑escalation and regional security; Pakistan has acted as an intermediary between Tehran and Washington. Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif held preparatory talks with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian. German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul said he expected a direct US‑Iran meeting in Pakistan “very soon.” US envoys also indicated talks with Iran could take place via Pakistan, and separate reports said a US 15‑point ceasefire proposal had been transmitted through intermediaries.
President Pezeshkian warned neighboring countries not to permit US forces to use their territory to attack Iran, saying Tehran would respond strongly if its infrastructure or economic centers were targeted. He reiterated that Iran does not launch preemptive strikes but will retaliate when attacked.
US President Donald Trump criticized German leaders for not supporting a mission to secure the Strait of Hormuz, questioning allied burden‑sharing; German officials said there was no disagreement on current requests for military support.
Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy visited the UAE and announced cooperation on security and defense, including anti‑drone measures. Zelenskyy said Ukraine’s four years of defending against near‑daily drone and missile attacks have yielded systems and integration experience that could help partners facing Iranian drone threats.
Despite diplomatic moves and active mediation efforts, military exchanges and airstrikes continued across the region. Iranian officials warned of heavy reprisals for further attacks on their industrial and nuclear infrastructure, and the situation remained fluid.
(Reporting compiled from regional statements and official sources.)