A suspect in the case of the deadly car explosion in the Indian capital, New Delhi, appeared in court on Monday over allegedly conspiring with a suicide bomber to carry out the attack.
The Indian government had classified last week’s incident, which killed at least 10 people near the Red Fort landmark, as a terror attack.
India’s National Investigation Agency (NIA) presented the suspect to the court on Monday and named him as Amir Rashid A.
He is said to have traveled to Delhi from Kashmir to “facilitate the purchase of the car which was eventually used as a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device (IED) to trigger the blast,” a statement from the counter-terrorism agency read.
Another suspect detained
Investigators said late Monday that they arrested another suspect for allegedly providing “technical support for carrying out terror attacks by modifying drones and attempting to make rockets” ahead of the Red Fort attack.
He was identified as Jasir Bilal W.
Authorities have not disclosed details about the motives for the attack or organizational backing of the alleged attackers.
The two suspects, as well as the alleged suicide bomber identified as Umar Un N., all originally come from Indian-administered Kashmir, according to the NIA.
The region was rocked earlier this year by an attack that claimed the lives of mainly 26 Hindu civilians at the tourist site of Pahalgam.
The explosion near Delhi’s historic Red Fort is the first incident of mass violence to take place in the heavily guarded city since 2011.
Families of victims killed in Delhi car blast demand justice
To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video
Edited by: Wesley Rahn
