About 12 hours after dozens of bombs largely destroyed the supreme leader’s compound in central Tehran, Iranian state television announced the death of 86-year-old Ali Khamenei. The Beit-e Rahbari complex was among the first sites struck in the US and Israeli operations on February 28. Reports say Khamenei had remained at the compound with family despite the known risks, consistent with his past remarks about accepting a martyr’s death.
Footage of people celebrating the reported killing has circulated online and been verified by some outlets, though large-scale internet outages inside Iran since the strikes have made it difficult to judge how widely such material is seen domestically. At the same time, state media broadcast scenes of nationwide mourning; officials declared a 40-day mourning period and ordered a week of public holidays.
State outlets also said several senior military figures were killed at a Defense Council meeting alongside Khamenei, naming Mohammad Pakpour, Defense Minister Aziz Nasirzadeh and Abdolrahim Mousavi among the dead. Ali Larijani, secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, told state television a provisional leadership council would be formed to oversee the transition. He added that Iran did not want war with neighboring states but would continue to strike US bases in the region.
The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps issued a defiant statement pledging retaliation and vowing to follow Khamenei’s direction. Its release promised what it described as “the largest military operations in the history of the Iranian armed forces” against Israel and US regional positions.
Outside analysts say the immediate trajectory of the conflict is unlikely to change substantially. Researchers note Iran had been braced for escalation for weeks and that its security and military structures are sufficiently decentralized to keep operating from standing plans even if top leaders are removed. That organizational resilience makes continued action possible despite leadership losses.
Iran appears to be pursuing the broad regional confrontation it signaled before these attacks. It has already struck US facilities in the Gulf, targeted oil infrastructure in eastern Saudi Arabia and hit populated locations including parts of Dubai. Observers say Tehran cannot hope to achieve conventional military dominance over the United States or Israel, but it can attempt to raise the costs of confrontation until the adversary seeks de-escalation.
Potential tactics include disrupting shipping through the Strait of Hormuz and activating allied militias such as Iraq’s Hashd al-Shaabi and Yemen’s Houthis, analysts note. The Revolutionary Guard has already threatened to widen operations and interfere with maritime traffic.
Despite the asymmetry in forces, Iran retains a form of strategic resilience: as an authoritarian regime prioritizing survival, it faces fewer immediate domestic political constraints over casualties and financial drain, and may be willing to endure high costs to remain intact. If Tehran weathers the crisis without internal splits, that would be a strategic success; conversely, a protracted war could complicate US and allied politics and increase pressure on Washington.
Former US President Donald Trump warned Iran against further escalation on his social platform, saying more severe strikes would trigger an unprecedented American response. Whether mounting attacks will push either side toward talks with influential Iranian factions is uncertain. In the near term, much will depend on how far each side is willing to push and the price they are prepared to pay.
This article was translated from German.