US President Donald Trump said the conflict with Iran could be over in “two or three weeks” and announced he would give a national address on Wednesday, even as fighting intensified across the Middle East and the wider Gulf. Military action and attacks have spread from Tehran and Israel to Lebanon and key Gulf shipping routes, disrupting commerce and raising energy prices.
Israel said it carried out a wide wave of strikes on infrastructure sites in Tehran, and Iran reported explosions across the north, east and center of the capital. In retaliation, Iranian missiles struck near Tel Aviv. Israeli emergency services reported 14 people wounded, including an 11-year-old girl with serious shrapnel injuries. Israeli media said cluster munitions were used in the strike; both Iran and Israel have accused the other of employing such weapons, though neither is a party to the Convention on Cluster Munitions.
In Lebanon, Israeli strikes in the Beirut area killed at least seven people and wounded others; authorities said one of the dead was a Hezbollah commander. Lebanese officials say the wider conflict has killed more than 1,200 people and displaced over a million residents.
Across the Gulf, a series of incidents has disrupted transport and trade. Kuwait’s civil aviation authority reported a large fire at Kuwait International Airport after drones targeted fuel tanks; no casualties were reported. A tanker off Qatar’s coast was hit by two projectiles, causing a fire and leaving an unexploded device in an engine room; the crew were reported safe and the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations is investigating. Iran has regularly launched missiles and drones against Gulf states in retaliation for the US-Israeli campaign.
The United Arab Emirates has barred entry and transit for Iranian nationals; major carriers including Emirates, Etihad and FlyDubai reflected the ban on their websites. UAE authorities offered no official comment. Meanwhile, Iran’s blockade of the Strait of Hormuz has sharply cut flows through a waterway that carries about one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas, contributing to global fuel shortages and higher prices.
National leaders and officials warned of economic fallout. Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese made an emergency address urging motorists to conserve fuel, use public transport and support measures such as a temporary fuel tax cut as petrol and diesel prices hit record highs and local shortages emerged. Officials stressed the risk to agriculture and other critical sectors if energy and fertilizer supplies remain disrupted.
On diplomacy, Iran’s foreign minister Abbas Araghchi told Al Jazeera there are “no negotiations” with the United States and denied responding to a reported 15-point US ceasefire proposal. Washington is said to have delivered its plan to Tehran via Pakistan last week; reports suggested Iran offered a five-point counterproposal, but Araghchi said Tehran had not submitted proposals or conditions. Pakistan, Turkey and Egypt have been involved in mediation efforts, with Pakistan positioning itself as a potential broker.
The United Kingdom announced plans for a multi-nation meeting, led by Foreign Secretary Yvette Cooper and expected to include about 35 countries, to discuss reopening the Strait of Hormuz and ensuring safe passage. Security analysts cautioned that any attempt to force open the waterway by military means would be extremely risky.
In Washington, Senator Marco Rubio said the US might have to “reexamine” its relationship with NATO after the conflict, criticizing some European allies’ reluctance to join offensive or security efforts. Senior US officials have also publicly expressed frustration with allied hesitancy to secure the Strait of Hormuz or participate in strikes against Iran. The White House indicated Trump might withdraw US forces even without a formal peace deal, a stance reflecting concern about mounting economic and political costs.
Analysts say the critical factor for the global economy will be how quickly energy, fertilizer and other supply chains recover once hostilities ease. For now, uncertainty remains: Tehran says it is not negotiating with Washington, while the White House signals both a push for an end to the fighting and a willingness to reduce US involvement even without a negotiated settlement.
Key developments at a glance:
– Trump said the war could end in weeks and will address the nation; the White House previewed an “important update on Iran.”
– Israel reported wide strikes in Tehran; explosions were recorded across the Iranian capital.
– Iran-launched missiles struck near Tel Aviv, wounding 14 people.
– Israeli strikes around Beirut killed at least seven, including a reported Hezbollah commander.
– Drones struck fuel tanks at Kuwait International Airport, sparking a large fire.
– A tanker near Qatar was hit by projectiles; crew reported safe and investigations are underway.
– The UAE has banned entry and transit for Iranian nationals.
– Iran denies negotiating with the US; Washington reportedly sent a 15-point ceasefire plan via Pakistan.
– The UK will convene a multilateral meeting on reopening the Strait of Hormuz.
– US officials and some allies are debating NATO’s role and future cooperation after the conflict.
With both sides signaling limited willingness to negotiate publicly and military actions continuing across multiple fronts, the prospects for an immediate ceasefire remain uncertain.