The temporary closure of the US Embassy in Amman has intensified frustration among Jordanians hoping to travel to the United States for their country’s first World Cup in June. The embassy website now says “all immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments are canceled until further notice,” leaving thousands of supporters unsure whether they can attend.
Officials linked the shutdown to attacks involving US-Israeli and Iranian actors that made headlines last Friday. That interruption has compounded existing problems: DW spoke to Jordanian fans who said some applications for tournament visas were already refused, while many others remain pending after spending substantial sums on tickets and travel arrangements.
Supporters are urging clearer guidance from both the US government and FIFA. FIFA did not reply to requests for comment for this report. The governing body has historically steered fans toward its FIFA Priority Appointment Scheduling System (FIFA PASS) for ticket holders; when the service launched in November, president Gianni Infantino framed it as part of making the tournament “the greatest and most inclusive FIFA World Cup in history.” Fans say that promise has collided with real-world obstacles.
Practical complications are mounting. FIFA reopened a surprise 48-hour ticket window at the end of February after earlier saying the event had sold out, and more ticket batches are expected before the June 11 opener. For Jordanians without tickets, that creates a dilemma: buy tickets and risk a visa refusal, or decline and potentially miss the event. Those who have secured tickets but are denied visas face potential losses if they try to resell.
“We were waiting for this dream to come true. I pursued every possible way to go and support our team, but the visa procedure is really tough,” said Mahmoud Obaidat, who applied for a visa three months ago and says he was refused. Others remain in limbo. Ghazi Al Samouee, leader of the Ultras of Al Ramtha SC and listed among applicants through the Jordan Football Association, pleaded for intervention: “The dream of seeing our national team in the World Cup is here, but with heavy hearts, we ask for help from the US Embassy to look closely at the Jordanian fans’ applications. We applied, but we didn’t hear any answer until now. Our applications are stuck there.” The Jordan FA declined to comment.
Jordan is not subject to the blanket travel bans that bar supporters from some other countries, but earlier this year the US suspended processing immigrant visas from 75 nations, including Jordan, citing concerns about immigrants collecting public assistance. That measure does not directly apply to short-term visitor visas issued for events like the World Cup, yet fans say it has hardened perceptions among consular staff. Some applicants say embassy employees have questioned whether visitors would return home after the tournament.
Because of visa hurdles and high ticket prices, many stadiums could be filled largely by diaspora communities already in the United States rather than traveling supporters. Jordan’s matches in California and Texas are expected to draw expatriate contingents, but many in Amman hope for broader regional backing. “We, as Jordanians, are hoping to get support from Lebanese, Syrian and Palestinians who live in the USA to cheer for our team, as the Jordanian diaspora is not very large there,” said former Jordan international Mohammad Khair.
For those denied the chance to attend, watching Jordan’s World Cup debut from home will feel like a bitter anticlimax after the joy of qualifying. Dana Sumlaji and Sami Jarwan contributed to this report. Edited by Chuck Penfold.