Nigerian forces said they killed at least 80 suspected militants near a military base in northeastern Borno state on Wednesday. Backed by air support, troops said they repelled a coordinated overnight attack by insurgents of unclear affiliation near the border with Niger.
The military placed the action in the context of a recent surge of jihadi violence in Borno linked to Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP). Earlier this week, three suspected suicide bombings in the state capital, Maiduguri, killed at least 23 people and wounded more than 100, striking a post office, a market and a teaching hospital.
Army spokesman Sani Uba described the operation as an “offensive-defensive” response. Authorities said “no fewer than 80 terrorists” were killed, including “high-profile” commanders, though international media have not independently verified the military’s claims.
Since the insurgency began in 2009, Boko Haram has killed more than 40,000 people and displaced about 2 million, the United Nations says.
Edited by: Sean Sinico