The Pentagon confirmed three U.S. service members were killed and at least five seriously wounded after strikes between the United States, Israel and Iran, and President Trump warned more American casualties were likely. In a Truth Social post, Trump called the dead “true American patriots,” said the nation would avenge them, and added, “And sadly, there will likely be more before it ends.”
U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said the casualties were the first U.S. deaths since strikes began Saturday. A U.S. official identified the fallen as ground-based forces stationed in Kuwait. CENTCOM also said several other service members suffered minor shrapnel injuries and concussions and were expected to return to duty.
CENTCOM described its operation, dubbed “Epic Fury,” as hitting an Iranian Jamaran-class corvette that was sinking at a pier in the Gulf of Oman and conducting B-2 stealth-bomber strikes with 2,000-pound bombs on Iranian ballistic missile facilities. The command said more than 1,000 targets have been struck. Trump additionally claimed U.S. forces had sunk nine Iranian naval vessels and “largely destroyed” Iran’s naval headquarters; CENTCOM did not confirm those specific assertions. On Truth Social he warned more attacks were coming and wrote that targeted Iranian ships “will soon be floating at the bottom of the sea, also!”
The violence widened across the region Sunday. Israel said it launched large-scale strikes in central Tehran, including targets it described as belonging to “the Iranian terror regime,” and said it was working to establish air superiority; explosions were reported in Tehran. Iranian state media reported that Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had been killed in strikes on his office. Iran said it had established a three-person temporary leadership council until a clerical panel selects a new supreme leader. Media outlets and officials on all sides issued conflicting accounts; some reports remain unverified.
Iranian officials reported civilian losses, including a foreign ministry spokesperson telling NPR that 158 students were killed at an elementary school in Minab and that hospitals in central Tehran had been struck. Iran blamed Israel for the school strike; Israel said it was not aware of operations in that area. A CENTCOM spokesperson said U.S. forces were aware of reports of civilian harm, were investigating, and reiterated that the U.S. does not target civilians.
Public reaction in Iran was intense: mourners filled Tehran’s Enghelab Square and other public spaces; videos circulating online showed both large crowds and scenes of celebration in some places, while at least one account described security forces shooting a protester. NPR said it could not independently verify all footage.
Across the region, governments raised security levels and activated air defenses. Iraq blocked access to Baghdad’s Green Zone and deployed riot police against militias. Jordan reported air-raid sirens and intercepting missiles. Iranian strikes reportedly struck luxury hotels and high-rises believed to house U.S. personnel; separate drone and rocket attacks damaged Dubai’s international airport and the Burj Al Arab, and airports in Abu Dhabi and Kuwait also reported impacts. Iran warned of a major wave of attacks on Israel and U.S. bases, vowed revenge for Khamenei’s reported death, and announced it was closing the Strait of Hormuz. Iran’s foreign ministry described the conflict as an “unjust war” imposed on the country and said it had no problem with the American people.
In Israel, officials said at least nine people were killed and others wounded in an Iranian missile strike near Jerusalem. The international oil organization OPEC convened to discuss whether to boost production amid concerns about Gulf supply disruptions and potential price spikes.
Trump also issued stern warnings to Iran, saying the United States would respond with “a force that has never been seen before,” and told CNBC that military operations were “ahead of schedule.” CENTCOM and other officials continue to monitor and assess civilian harm and battlefield developments as the confrontation expands.
Reporting contributions: Daniel Estrin from Tel Aviv and Carrie Kahn from Istanbul.