March 2, 2026
Overview
Tensions across the Gulf and the wider region have escalated as Iran and US-Israeli forces exchanged strikes. Multiple incidents — including aircraft losses, strikes on energy infrastructure, and explosions in several Gulf cities — have prompted rescue operations, investigations and diplomatic responses.
US warplanes downed in Kuwait
Kuwait’s Defense Ministry reported that several US fighter aircraft came down on its territory. Search-and-rescue teams were dispatched immediately. Officials say all crew members have been rescued, evacuated and taken to hospital for medical checks; their condition has been described as stable. Kuwaiti authorities coordinated directly with US forces and implemented joint technical measures. Investigations are under way to determine the cause of the incidents.
Attack on Saudi refinery
The Ras Tanura oil refinery on Saudi Arabia’s Gulf coast sustained an attack that sparked a fire, which was brought under control and extinguished. Saudi authorities said two drones targeted the facility but were intercepted. Operations at the refinery near Dammam were temporarily suspended as a precaution.
Explosions across Gulf cities
Residents and authorities reported loud blasts in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha, Manama and Kuwait City after Iran carried out strikes on countries hosting US bases. Since Saturday, civilian infrastructure including airports, seaports, residential buildings and hotels has been affected. Bahrain’s Interior Ministry reported one death on the island from Iranian strikes, bringing reported Gulf fatalities to five.
Casualties in Iran
Iran’s Red Crescent said at least 555 people have been killed across the country following strikes by US and Israeli forces that began on Saturday. Iran’s security chief, Ali Larijani, announced Tehran would not negotiate with the United States and warned of unprecedented retribution after earlier strikes that reportedly killed Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and others.
Lebanon
The Lebanese Health Ministry reported at least 31 deaths and 149 injuries from Israeli airstrikes, mostly in southern Lebanon and the southern suburbs of Beirut. Israel said it carried out additional strikes early Monday targeting Hezbollah-linked infrastructure in southern Lebanon.
International reactions and movements
China called for an immediate ceasefire and renewed diplomatic engagement, warning against further escalation. Beijing said a Chinese national was killed in Tehran and that its embassy was assisting the family; more than 3,000 Chinese citizens have reportedly left Iran following travel warnings.
Cyprus and the UK
A drone strike caused minor runway damage at the UK’s Akrotiri base in Cyprus. The UK Foreign Secretary said the United States had not requested use of the base; London had previously offered its facilities for defensive operations. Cyprus cancelled a planned meeting of EU ministers after the incident and said it did not intend to take part in military operations.
US embassy advisory in Kuwait
The US embassy in Kuwait urged people not to come to the mission amid ongoing missile and unmanned aerial vehicle threats. Embassy staff are sheltering in place. American citizens in Kuwait were advised to seek cover on lower floors away from windows and to follow local security instructions.
Context and current status
The recent escalations follow a major joint US-Israeli operation that U.S. officials say killed Iran’s Supreme Leader and other figures. President Donald Trump announced the operation and pledged to degrade Iran’s military capabilities. The situation remains fluid: rescue and recovery efforts continue, investigations are ongoing, and officials on all sides have urged reliance on verified information as events develop.