After weeks of negotiations over Iran’s nuclear program, the United States and Israel launched coordinated operations on February 28, codenamed “Epic Fury” and “Roaring Lion.” This summary outlines the main developments and likely consequences.
1) Which locations were struck?
US and Israeli forces targeted multiple Iranian military bases and government sites. Satellite imagery shows widespread damage. The residence of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei sustained heavy damage and Khamenei was killed in the attack. Missile facilities in Kermanshah were hit, damaging several buildings, and access to an underground missile site near Kangavar appears to have been destroyed.
2) Where has the fighting spread?
The US and Israel have concentrated strikes inside Iran. Tehran has retaliated by striking Israel and countries allied with Washington. The conflict has extended beyond the Gulf, including exchanges in Lebanon. On March 3, during a White House meeting with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, President Donald Trump said “just about everything’s been knocked out” in Iran — the navy, air force and air detection systems — and asserted that many potential successors to Iran’s leadership had been killed.
3) Why did the US and Israel strike?
US officials have given varying rationales. President Trump framed the campaign as aimed at “eliminating the Iranian nuclear program once and for all,” and urged Iranians to “take over your government” after the strikes began. By March 2, US Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth emphasized that the operation was not a “regime change war.”
4) Iran’s leadership: who was killed and who leads now?
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader for nearly four decades, was killed on the first day of the coordinated assault, along with other senior officials. No successor had been named beforehand; the constitution provides for the Assembly of Experts — an elected body of 88 senior clerics — to select the supreme leader. An interim leadership council has been announced, comprised of President Masoud Pezeshkian, Chief Justice Gholamhossein Mohseni-Ejei and cleric Alireza Arafi. Power currently appears concentrated with Iran’s top national security official, Ali Larijani.
5) How long might Iran sustain combat operations?
Despite the high-profile losses, Iran’s governing structures remain in place. President Trump projected the conflict could last four to five weeks but said he was prepared to continue longer if needed. Israeli officials have warned that Iran still retains substantial missile capabilities even after strikes on launch sites. Israeli forces reported hitting a facility near Isfahan used for storage, production and launch of ballistic missiles, including Ghadr-class missiles; satellite images show at least one building was struck at a nearby missile complex.
6) Reported casualties
Reliable, independently verified casualty totals are not available. Estimates for Iranian deaths range roughly from 500 to more than 800. Oman, Iraq, Bahrain, the UAE and Kuwait have reported fewer than 10 fatalities collectively. Lebanese death tolls are reported between about 10 and more than 50. Six US soldiers were killed in a strike on a US air base in Kuwait. Israel has reported 11 casualties.
7) Situation in the Strait of Hormuz
Commercial shipping through the Strait of Hormuz has been effectively halted. Revolutionary Guards General Ebrahim Jabbari warned Iran would “burn any ship” attempting transit. The US said its Navy could escort tankers if needed. On March 4, the Revolutionary Guards claimed, via the semi-official Fars news agency, that the Strait was under Iran’s “full control.”
8) Impact on oil markets
The conflict has pushed global oil prices higher. Brent crude reached levels not seen since July 2024 and was trading just above $80 per barrel on March 4.
Contributors: Julian Peschel, Anne Serwas and DW’s Infographics team.
Edited by Gianna-Carina Gruen and Rob Mudge.
More data-driven reporting from DW is available online.