President Donald Trump announced he would prolong a pause on strikes aimed at Iranian energy infrastructure until April 6, saying on Truth Social that Tehran requested the delay and that negotiations were ongoing and progressing well. The extension follows an earlier ultimatum in which Trump threatened to hit Iran’s energy facilities unless Iran allowed ships free passage through the Strait of Hormuz; that deadline has already been postponed twice.
The decision came as diplomatic and military discussions intensified over reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic choke point through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil normally moves. France said some 35 countries took part in a video conference of defence chiefs to discuss reopening the corridor once hostilities ease, including the possibility of strictly defensive escort missions to protect commercial shipping. U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, preparing to attend foreign ministers’ talks near Paris, said G7 countries have a shared interest in restoring safe passage through the strait.
Tensions have played out in bilateral exchanges too. Tehran publicly responded to Spain after the Iranian embassy in Madrid indicated Iran would be receptive to any Spanish request related to Hormuz, underscoring Madrid’s stance against the U.S.-Israeli campaign. Separately, U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff said Washington had relayed a 15-point action list to Iran through intermediaries in Pakistan and suggested there was a strong chance of a deal if Iran concluded it faced few viable alternatives.
At a White House Cabinet meeting, Trump portrayed Iran as eager to make a deal but expressed uncertainty about U.S. willingness to accept terms, adding that Tehran should have agreed earlier. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth framed the U.S.-led campaign as decisive, asserting that Iran’s military capabilities had been rapidly degraded and outlining objectives including ending Iran’s nuclear program, dismantling its naval power, and targeting missile and defense industrial capacities.
On the battlefield, U.S. Central Command chief Admiral Brad Cooper hailed an Israeli strike that Israel says killed Iranian naval commander Alireza Tangsiri, saying the loss has pushed Iran’s navy toward irreversible decline. Cooper and other officials said U.S. and Israeli strikes have destroyed many larger Iranian vessels and reduced Tehran’s ability to project power at sea, while noting that Iran still possesses smaller boats, coastal anti-ship missiles and mine-laying capacity that could hamper transit.
The conflict has had significant regional consequences. Airstrikes struck a building in Beirut’s southern suburbs, producing large plumes of smoke, and Lebanon has been pulled deeper into the fighting after Hezbollah launched rocket attacks following the killing of Iran’s supreme leader in a combined Israeli-U.S. strike on February 28. Lebanese authorities report heavy casualties and displacement, saying at least 1,116 people have been killed since March 2, including 121 children, and that more than one million people have been displaced.
Responses among European and transatlantic partners vary. NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte defended the 32-member alliance against U.S. criticism for not endorsing the U.S.-Israeli campaign, noting wide international participation in talks to keep sea lanes open. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas accused Russia of supplying intelligence and drones used against U.S. personnel and bases, and urged stepped-up pressure on Moscow if Western efforts to halt the Middle East attacks are to succeed.
Amid concern the Iran conflict could ripple into other theatres, Ukraine said it had no indication the U.S. plans to divert weapons intended for Kyiv to the Middle East. Germany’s president publicly condemned the U.S.-Israeli action in Iran as a breach of international law, a characterization Trump called inappropriate during the Cabinet briefing.
Diplomatic channels remain active, with intermediary countries continuing to pass messages between capitals and U.S. officials reporting incremental progress. Still, the situation remains fragile: the Strait of Hormuz is effectively disrupted, major strikes have reshaped the regional balance, and leaders are publicly debating whether negotiations or further military pressure will determine the coming weeks.