May 22, 2026 — NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte welcomed US President Donald Trump’s announcement that 5,000 US troops will be deployed to Poland, but he and other alliance leaders stressed that the move does not remove the need for greater European responsibility for the continent’s defence.
The announcement followed confusion earlier in the week after the Pentagon said it had suspended a planned deployment of a US brigade to Poland as part of a broader review of American force posture in Europe. Trump later said he would send 5,000 troops to Poland, prompting allies to seek clarification on what the change means for overall US presence on the continent.
Rutte said NATO’s military commanders will work out the details and described the news as welcome. He declined to provide specifics about possible reductions of US forces elsewhere in Europe, saying such information is highly classified and part of a process tied to the alliance’s force model.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio sought to calm concerns, saying the shift in troop deployments reflects global US commitments and a routine reassessment of where forces are needed, not a punitive measure against European partners. He also acknowledged President Trump’s “disappointment” with some allies’ responses to US military operations in the Middle East — a rift NATO leaders agreed would be addressed at the leaders’ summit in July in Ankara.
Poland’s foreign minister warmly received the announcement, saying the US rotational presence in Poland will be maintained at roughly previous levels. Other NATO foreign ministers, however, said the mixed signals from Washington — including an earlier plan to reduce 5,000 troops in Germany — have been confusing and underscored the need for a structured, predictable approach to any realignment.
European officials used the Helsingborg foreign ministers meeting to press for clarity about the logistics and origins of any troop movements. When asked where the additional troops would come from, Rubio initially said “from America” and deferred further logistical details to the Pentagon. Rutte emphasized that decisions about contributions and capabilities are being discussed within NATO’s formats.
Beyond troop movements, ministers discussed broader security and burden-sharing issues. German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul urged allies to step up support for Ukraine and called for at least €90 billion in assistance, noting the EU’s recent role as a crucial financial lifeline after US military aid was cut earlier. Germany announced its defence spending will exceed 4% of GDP in 2026, moving toward the 5% target the US has pushed for.
NATO also extended an invitation to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy to attend the July summit in Ankara. Ministers highlighted the importance of unity in supporting Ukraine as it fights Russian aggression and of making defence investment and cooperation a priority.
Other diplomatic developments at the meeting included a first face-to-face meeting between the Ukrainian and Hungary’s new foreign ministers, focused on rebuilding ties and addressing minority rights.
Analysts and several NATO ministers said the current episode underlines a longer-term transition: the US is recalibrating its global force posture while urging European allies to increase their defence capacity. Ministers said it will be important that any US changes occur in a structured way so European countries can bolster deterrence and defence where needed.
The alliance will take the issues — troop rotations, burden-sharing, differing views on Middle East operations and financial support for Ukraine — to its leaders’ summit in July, where members hope to present a united front despite the recent frictions.