Australia has temporarily prevented certain visitors who applied with Iranian passports from entering the country, a measure that took effect on Thursday, March 26. The Department of Home Affairs said the six-month restriction responds to risks created by the war in Iran, including concerns that some temporary visa holders might be unable or unlikely to leave Australia when their visas expire.
The pause affects specific visitor visas that were issued after applications made with an Iranian passport, and it applies only to people who are currently outside Australia. The department said those visas for the affected group have “temporarily ceased to be in effect.” Recognized exceptions include people married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident and those who have a child under 18 residing in Australia.
Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said many visitor visas granted before the conflict might not have been approved if applied for now, and argued that decisions allowing someone to remain permanently should be explicit government choices rather than unintended results of travel plans. The department told Reuters the step is intended to protect the integrity of Australia’s immigration system.
Advocacy groups and some politicians condemned the move. The Asylum Seeker Resource Centre called the measure “heartless,” saying it increases harm to Iranians already affected by the conflict and effectively shuts the door on people seeking safety. Green politician David Shoebridge warned that Iranians have limited routes to apply for entry.
Ties between Australia and Iran have been strained recently. Home Affairs figures for 2023 show roughly 86,000 Australia residents were born in Iran, with substantial communities in Sydney and Melbourne. Earlier this month Australia granted asylum to seven members and officials of Iran’s women’s national football team who were in the country for the Asian Cup, a decision that sparked a diplomatic dispute. The players reportedly faced backlash at home after initially refusing to sing the national anthem; five later reversed asylum plans, raising concerns about pressure on their families.
Reporting contributed by Kate Hairsine; edited by Rana Taha.