French authorities announced two further arrests Sunday in connection with an attempted bombing outside Bank of America’s Paris offices, after police detained an initial suspect a day earlier. Officers intercepted two men near the building carrying a shopping bag; investigators say one had just placed a device made up of an ignition mechanism and a liquid-filled container and was about to light it when stopped, while the other fled. Prosecutors have extended custody of the first detained individual.
The incident took place at about 3:30 a.m. local time (0230 GMT) a few streets from the Champs-Élysées. Preliminary examination of the device found roughly 650 grams (23 ounces) of explosive powder; the item was sent to a forensics laboratory for a full analysis.
France’s national anti-terrorism prosecutor’s office (PNAT) has opened an investigation into terrorism-related offenses. The probe covers alleged attempted damage by fire or other dangerous means, manufacture of an incendiary or explosive device, possession and transport of such devices with intent to cause harm, and participation in a terrorist criminal association.
Interior Minister Laurent Nunez praised the swift police action on X, saying it helped prevent “a violent act of a terrorist nature.” He added that vigilance remains very high and that security and intelligence services are fully mobilized given the current international context.
An unnamed police source told AFP the initial suspect was recruited via Snapchat and had been offered €600 (about $692) to carry out the attack. Bank of America said it was aware of the situation and was in contact with French authorities.
French officials have increased security at sites associated with U.S. interests and the Jewish community following recent U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran, and personal protection for some exiled Iranian opposition figures has also been stepped up.
Story edited by Darko Janjevic and Natalie Muller.