On Sunday night, President Trump announced that the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts will close in July for what he described as two years of “Construction, Revitalization, and Complete Rebuilding,” with the stated aim of creating “the finest Performing Arts Facility of its kind, anywhere in the World.” The timing — which coincided with the Grammy Awards — surprised many in Washington and within the arts community.
Richard Grenell, the Kennedy Center’s president, sent staff a memo acknowledging the announcement raises many questions and saying more details about staffing and operations will be shared in the coming days. In a public post, Grenell said he believes the plan “sets the stage for a stronger, revitalized National Cultural and Entertainment Complex.” NPR has asked the Kennedy Center for comment and has not yet received a reply.
The announcement prompts a number of immediate questions and uncertainties:
Would Congress have to approve the plan?
– The Kennedy Center is chartered by Congress as a living memorial to President Kennedy, with a mission to preserve and foster the performing arts. Congress has not acted on the renaming of the complex that was announced in December, and it remains unclear what legislative approvals, if any, would be required for the proposed changes.
What happens to organizations, performers and unions with existing contracts?
– Long-running productions such as Shear Madness have bookings that extend through October. Union agreements and staff contracts — including those covering the National Symphony Orchestra, whose contract is nearing expiration — along with backstage and education personnel, could all be affected by a multi-year closure.
What is the president’s vision for programming and space?
– Historically, disciplines such as opera, classical music and dance have not been a focus for this administration. It is not yet clear whether a “complete rebuilding” would preserve venues and support for those traditional performing-arts forms.
Where will the National Symphony Orchestra perform?
– The National Symphony has experienced declining ticket sales this year. A closure could alter its financial and operational relationship with the Kennedy Center and force the orchestra to find alternate performance and rehearsal space.
Why was July chosen as the closing date?
– July falls in the middle of the Kennedy Center’s musical-theater season, which this year includes touring productions such as The Outsiders, Moulin Rouge! The Musical and Back to the Future: The Musical, as well as children’s programming. The status of scheduled shows and tours is uncertain.
Why announce the renovation now?
– The center underwent expansion and renovation in 2019. While maintenance needs are frequently cited for older facilities, officials have not spelled out what issues were not addressed previously. A person close to the center said Trump has expressed interest in design changes, including marble armrests for main-theater seats — a detail critics say might affect acoustics.
What will happen to artworks and historic items?
– The Kennedy Center houses artifacts including a well-known bust of President Kennedy and diplomatic gifts from other countries. There are outstanding questions about how those pieces would be preserved, displayed or relocated during a major rebuilding. Critics have pointed to past actions by the president and recent demolitions that have alarmed preservation advocates.
Will the complex remain tied to Kennedy’s name and legacy?
– Jack Schlossberg, the president’s grandson, posted on social media expressing concern that the announced changes could threaten the center’s association with President Kennedy and urging opposition to moves that would diminish that connection.
NPR is pursuing answers to these and other questions about the proposed renovations and the announced closing. Readers are invited to submit additional questions they would like NPR to investigate.