The Washington Post on Wednesday began carrying out large-scale job cuts across the organization.
In a statement, the paper said it was taking “difficult but decisive actions” in a significant restructuring meant to strengthen its position and focus on the journalism that distinguishes The Post and engages readers.
The Washington Post Guild, the newsroom union, warned that a hollowed-out newsroom would harm the paper’s credibility, reach and future.
The moves follow weeks of speculation after sports staff who had planned to cover the Winter Olympics in Italy were told they would not be going; the paper said only a limited team will be sent to Milan.
What we know
Executive editor Matt Murray announced the cuts in a staff video meeting and said “all departments are impacted.” He outlined several specific changes: the books department will be closed; the local Washington news desk and editing staff will be reorganized; the Post Reports podcast will be suspended; the sports department is being closed; and the number of overseas correspondents will be reduced substantially.
Union criticizes owner Jeff Bezos
The Guild directly criticized owner Jeff Bezos, saying that if he is no longer willing to invest in the paper’s defining mission, the Post deserves a steward who will. The union and some observers have partly blamed Bezos for declining subscriptions, pointing to decisions such as ending the paper’s practice of endorsing presidential candidates and for perceived ties to the Trump administration.
A brief background
Bezos purchased The Washington Post in 2013; before that, the paper had been owned by the Meyer‑Graham family since 1933. The Post rose to global prominence by breaking the Watergate scandal, which helped prompt President Richard Nixon’s 1974 resignation. Since 1936, the newspaper has won more than 76 Pulitzer Prizes.
Edited by: Jenipher Camino Gonzalez