As the conflict in the Middle East moves into its fourth week, U.S. and Israeli officials say they remain dominant in the skies over Iran even as the Trump administration signals it may be preparing to “wind down” some military activity in the region. The Israeli military reported renewed strikes in Tehran early Saturday, while the U.S. Department of Defense says Iranian missile and drone attacks have fallen by about 90% from the war’s opening days.
In a separate move aimed at easing acute disruption in global energy markets, the administration announced a temporary lifting of sanctions on certain Iranian oil shipments currently loaded on ships. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said the measure could quickly put roughly 140 million barrels back onto world markets. The relief is scheduled to run through April 19, 2026. The administration has already relaxed some restrictions on Russian crude to help additional supplies reach buyers.
The Persian Gulf has been hit hard by the conflict: the International Maritime Organization estimates more than 3,000 vessels are stranded in the region, and traffic through the Strait of Hormuz — normally carrying about a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas — has been nearly halted. Those disruptions, combined with shrinking floating reserves, have driven crude prices up about 45% since the fighting began, pushing benchmark crude above $110 per barrel and threatening higher gasoline prices for consumers.
On the military front, U.S. forces have shifted some tactics as commanders assess the threat from Iranian forces. The U.S. has employed Apache helicopters and A-10 Warthog aircraft, and the Pentagon says it is focusing on Iran’s small, fast boats in the Persian Gulf. Officials view the change in assets as consistent with a reduced aerial and missile threat from Iran compared with the conflict’s opening stages.
At the same time, more U.S. Marines are en route to the region. Two U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed that the USS Boxer group — three ships carrying thousands of Marines from the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit — departed California and will take about three weeks to reach the Persian Gulf. That deployment comes in addition to the USS Tripoli group, transporting more than 2,000 Marines from Japan and expected to arrive soon. U.S. Central Command declined to comment on the details or mission of the deployments.
President Trump has sought to downplay any immediate plan for a large-scale troop buildup, telling reporters, “No. I’m not putting troops anywhere. If I were, I certainly wouldn’t tell you, but I’m not putting troops.” On social media, he suggested the administration is approaching its objectives and may seek an off-ramp: “We are getting very close to meeting our objectives as we consider winding down our great Military efforts in the Middle East with respect to the Terrorist Regime of Iran,” he wrote, listing degraded Iranian missile, air and naval capabilities and stressing protection for Israel and Gulf Arab partners. He also reiterated that he wants other countries to help patrol the Strait of Hormuz.
The violence has spilled across borders. Israel reported strikes on Syrian military sites, including a command center and weapons depots, saying some strikes were aimed at protecting the Druze minority in southern Syria amid recent clashes there. Turkey condemned the strikes as illegal and warned they represented a dangerous escalation. The Israeli campaign in Syria, which has intensified since last year, adds another layer of regional complexity as Iran has retaliated in recent weeks with waves of missiles and drones targeting Israel and U.S. allies.
With diplomatic and military pressures mounting, and energy markets under strain, the region remains tense and volatile. There is no clear consensus on a pathway to de-escalation, and U.S., Israeli and other regional leaders face competing pressures to maintain security, limit further escalation, and stabilize global oil supplies.