March 22, 2026
Iran has pledged to retaliate if its energy infrastructure is attacked, after US President Donald Trump warned he would “obliterate” Iranian power plants unless the Strait of Hormuz is fully reopened within 48 hours.
Trump posted the ultimatum on Truth Social, saying that if Iran did not “FULLY OPEN, WITHOUT THREAT, the Strait of Hormuz, within 48 HOURS,” the United States would strike and destroy Iran’s power plants, starting with the largest. The Strait of Hormuz is a strategic chokepoint through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil typically moves.
Iran’s military operational command, Khatam Al-Anbiya, responded through the Fars news agency that any attack on Iran’s fuel and energy facilities would be met with reprisals targeting energy, information technology and desalination infrastructure belonging to the United States and “the regime in the region.” Desalination plants provide critical freshwater supplies for Gulf states and have already been targeted in earlier exchanges during the conflict.
Iran’s envoy to the UN maritime agency, Ali Mousavi, told Xinhua that the Strait of Hormuz remains open to shipping except for vessels tied to “Iran’s enemies.” He said Tehran is ready to work with the International Maritime Organization to bolster maritime safety and protect seafarers, and reiterated that diplomacy is Tehran’s preferred path — but that mutual trust and a halt to hostile actions are prerequisites.
The warnings come amid a sharp escalation across the region. Israeli forces said they carried out another round of strikes against central Tehran early Sunday, calling the targets “terror regime” sites. Hours earlier, Iranian missile strikes hit two Israeli towns near the country’s primary nuclear research facility, causing dozens of injuries.
Saudi Arabia reported detecting three ballistic missiles in the vicinity of Riyadh; one was intercepted and two reportedly fell in an uninhabited area. The Saudi Defense Ministry also said five hostile drones had been detected since midnight.
Leaders in Washington and Jerusalem have sent mixed signals: Trump has publicly discussed possibly “winding down” US operations even as Israel continues to intensify strikes on Iranian targets. Maritime traffic through the Gulf has largely halted amid repeated threats to tankers and other vessels.
News organizations and regional authorities are closely monitoring the situation as tensions remain high and the risk of broader escalation persists.